Introduce yourself 🙆

Welcome Marcin, glad to have you here! If you have any questions on Speckle just ask :slight_smile:

Hi all,

I’m Gergő (hints) and I live in Budapest Hungary. I am an (ex)architect seduced by software development. In my dayjob I work on an automated preliminary engineering design tool, that integrates multiple engineering disciplines designs. To get to where we are, for the most part without knowing about Speckle, I walked strangely similar path that you guys have. Starting from the heavenly experience of forcing data into Revit via its magical API, to the all overshadowing need for a common data platform. Currently I am responsible for developing our data platform and the design framework connected to it. I mostly write python and c#, but I’ve also put some rust into production.

At night I’m a proud husband of a breast cancer survivor, father of a 2.5 yo tiny unstoppable rocket man, long time sourdough baker, full stack dev, code quality nerd, linux geek, open-source enthusiast and a tinkerer.

I see there is a good case for Speckle, and I’d love to add my share to it.

See you around :slightly_smiling_face:

PS, we have no pets, but here is a bread for you.

8 Likes

Hello everyone !

My name is Numa. I’m a french student in both architecture and building physics engineering in Strasbourg, currently doing my final project in engineering at EPFL (with Cyril who introduced himself above, and other Speckle convinced people). In this project I am wondering how Speckle could be used for interoperability between energy, radiation or fluid simulations and architecture model for early stage of environmental design.

I’ve been working with Revit, Rhino, Grasshopper, Ladybug, Honeybee and Butterfly for a long time. My coding abilities are far behind me. I am more an OpenSource softwares enthousiast who continualy search optimised solutions in order to support futur design workflows. (Ask for me if you need someone to crash your CPU, bug your models, etc !)

I must apologize, first for my english, secondly because I do not have pet to introduce :s

See you !

4 Likes

Welcome both!!!

@gjedlicska that bread looks so :yum:
And @Numa_Latourte don’t worry I also don’t have a cute pet to introduce :wink:

Hi guys!
My name is John!

Rather new to Speckle, but love the principle!

I’m running a small architecture firm in Norway, called Rallar architects. We’re focusing on building timber architecture by bridging the gap to digital manufacturers and carpenters. I’m looking forward to use Speckle not only within a project, but also to create tools that are reusable, regardless of project type. e.g. transferring a design to manufacturing

This fall I finished a PhD in parametric detailing of timber structures, and have collaborated with recently introduced @marcinluczkowski. Together, and with others, we’ve developed Reindeer

I personally do not have a cat, but me and my siblings are about to turn my parent’s cat into a grumpy, ironic Instagram star.

Say hello to Mussemassis

5 Likes

Hi @John_Haddal_Mork! Nice overlord/overlady cat you have there - the name fits! You’ve got one more instagram follower.

I love the topic you raised: bridging the gap to digital manufacturers and carpenters / linking design to manufacturing. I secretly dream of a fully connected digital world for AEC in which everyone can curate and manipulate their data to fit their needs, evolve protocols towards leaner and more meaningful communication. We’d really like to support you in anyway we can, so do let us know how we can help.

& Welcome!

1 Like

Great!

I very much share your vision!
Yes, hopefully I can contribute in some way in close future :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi guys!! My name is Shree and I am currently doing my master thesis in construction management at TU Delft and partly working with Royal HaskoningDHV from 2 months.

My thesis is about automating the requirements verification process using BIM data. There are a lot of client and building requirements that design should satisfy and currently, this process is manual which involves a lot of cost and effort. I believe speckle can be a platform for querying BIM and requirements-related data and I am still working on how this could be a possibility. As a novice and self-taught programmer myself, I am facing difficulties in implementing this even though I have developed a framework.

I believe this is a good platform to connect with fellow users and I hope to get some ideas to move forward. Nice to connect with y’all.

4 Likes

Hi @Shreenidhi95, welcome to the community! We’d love to see creative approaches to data-oriented workflows built on top of Speckle - if you need some juice to get started, check out this fantastic tutorial that @izzylys wrote up for calculating and plotting material properties with python :point_right: Tutorial: Simple Dashboard | Speckle Docs

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

2 Likes

Hi all,

I’m a final year computer science student studying at Aston University. I’m using speckle as part of my final year project to create an agent based crowd evacuation simulation program to allow Architects and AEC professionals to simulate evacuations within their buildings and visualise congestion, bottlenecks, and crowd panic.

Currently I’m using Speckle to allow my users to easily import their building models into my Unity environment. I will be graduating this summer and aim to start a career in software development.

All the best! :smiley:

3 Likes

Hey @Jedd, welcome to these parts! Hope we’ll be able to help - @teocomi is the resident unity master (so it’s easy for me to say). Nice topic for a final year project - I wonder what made you go for it? I’m curious as it’s rare to get Architecture/E/C in mixing with CS “officially”.

Officially my project’s subject is in Multi-Agent Systems which one of the major active research fields is in multi-agent crowd simulations. I’ve always been interested crowd simulation and pedestrian dynamics.

The focus on making my project an complete and useable product for end users (as opposed to simply for research) is that I have a Client for this project, my father who is actually an Architect (ARB, RIBA). I’ve been able to use him as a client for the software’s requirements which is valuable for the academic project.

3 Likes

Nice, it pays off to have an actual client that’s close to home. It’s a nice combo, you’re lucky! Appreciate the ambitions on actually delivering a working product. My dad’s an architect too (he’s actually lurking on the forum as @mircea.stefanescu - first time i noticed this :smiley: ). Curious as to what your dad makes of Speckle (esp. since he wants a crowd control simulation software!).

PS: also if you’re looking for a job after graduation, do send us a CV too!

Hi everyone,
I recently joined the awesome Speckle team as a software engineer. Here are few things about me:

I’ve always been passionate about programming and been working in the field for about 10 years at various companies. Notably as a Tools developer at the gaming company Ubisoft and as a programmer and security researcher at the security company Bitdefender.

When I’m not writing code, I’ll probably be playing foosball, attending a live concert or biking in the park.

5 Likes

Good morning all,

My name is Yien and I am an architect from Montreal (Quebec).
I hold the position of BIM director within my employer and I often do code to improve our processes. It is my pleasure to join this forum, as I believe that Speckle has enormous potential to change workflows between professionals.

When I have to solve a problem, I am obsessed with one thing: Efficiency.

Other topics you can discuss with me around are photography and alcohol. My two cats are called Gin and Whiskey.

see you soon

6 Likes

Hi @yien! Welcome, we’re happy you’re here. With your help and others like you, we can build a useful Speckle! As you have a go, please keep piling feedback back at us.

I was hoping for a more intelligent & elaborate reply from my end, but my brain got stuck laughing because of this!

3 Likes

Hello. I’m noam from Israel. A Bim coordinator. Currently working on the most improvised hospital i’ve seen. started at industrial design-carpentry-rvs-jungle gyms-and now buildings. by the time I get to 60 I want to work on ferries & space ferries. Happily married with 3 crazy boys.

2 Likes

Welcome Noam and thanks for introducing yourself! Have you had a chance to try our Speckle Beta? If so we’d love to hear what you think :slight_smile:
Good luck with your project, sounds quite interesting hehe!

Hello. I just tried it but can’t add the accont from the desktop.
I will try again tommorrow.

Ok! Let us know if we can be of help, if you’re using a corporate pc you might need to ask IT to grant access to the speckle website.