How does Speckle Excel Send Data?

I’m a bit confused as to how Speckle Excel sends data. For instance, I’m selecting a single cell of data in excel and sending it to the speckle server. When I try to read this data in python, it’s not actually picking up this data.

If I use the same method but send the data via dynamo, I can pick up the data. Is there anywhere I can understand this further?

Hey @dtnaughton,

I don’t have a very helpful answer here (again) :confused:

The excel client is really just an MVP done by @mishaelnuh and is not meant for consumption! He might be able to explain a bit more how it works, but use it at your own risk :slight_smile:

Hi @dtnaughton,

I’ve rummaged around and found this gif of how SpeckleExcel sends data to the server. Basically because Excel doesn’t support types (or at least it didn’t), you need to be more explicit about what you’re sending.

The first row is the property name. The required one is type where you specify the Speckle type you’re sending (e.g., Point, Line, etc.). It also supports dot notation so if you can send properties.myCustomProp for example. Each row after that is an object. If the cell is empty it won’t get added to the object during creation.

It’s all a bit confusing but I think the gif shows a good example for it. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Discourse doesn’t seem to like the gif. I’ll link it here in a bit some other way.

EDIT2: Let’s see if this works:

1 Like

@teocomi Thanks for linking us up!

@mishaelnuh That’s great, thank you! I’ll take a look at the gif once it’s linked and see if I can better understand :slight_smile:

See the edit in the post above!

1 Like